Basic Facts About 1A
- Puebloans for Improving Our Community is proposing a half-cent sales tax ballot initiative so six area nonprofits can continue their vital programs – Pueblo Zoo, Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center, Nature and Raptor Center, Historic Arkansas Riverwalk (HARP), Pueblo Animal Services, Colorado State Fair.
- All sales tax dollars raised will stay in Pueblo.
- The proposed tax does not apply to most of life's necessities, including groceries and medical supplies.
- All organizations will participate in an annual audit to ensure the money is being well spent.
- Voting YES on 1A this November will help ensure Pueblo remains a great place to live.
More Facts About 1A
Have more questions about the nitty-gritty details?
This printable Fact Sheet is a useful tool to help inform yourself and your friends and neighbors.
What will the Zoo do with the funding?
In addition to ensuring that we continue to provide the best in animal care and engaging visitor experiences and inspiring education programs, we plan to use the funds for new capital projects and new programs including (but not limited to):
- reopening a portion of Monkey Mountain
- reinvigorating our capital campaign to bring new exhibits and new animals to our community
- creating a dedicated scholarship fund to ensure that all children in our community can attend our classes and camps
- partnering with our colleagues at the Nature & Raptor Center to expand our collective program offerings both on and off-site
- updating many of our older exhibits to ensure those animals have quality habitats and providing our visitors with up-close, engaging experiences
Perhaps most importantly, we have every intention of working with the community to ensure that your vision for our zoo is reflected in the projects we choose. We expect to create a significant platform for you…the community…to tell us what you’d like to see.